Cape Bruny Lighthouse
The lighthouse at Cape Bruny was commissioned in 1836 following a series of shipwrecks off the southern Tasmanian coast. Work began in 1836 and the lighthouse was operational by 1838. It was the third lighthouse to be built in Tasmania and the fourth in Australia. The Cape Bruny Lighthouse is now the second oldest lighthouse remaining in Australia and is managed by the Tasmanian National Parks – Park entry fees apply. A track near the caretaker’s cottage leads to a beach where a convict built dry stone retaining-wall marks a levelled area that was once a vegetable garden maintained by convicts.